10 Interesting facts About Skeletal System
Facts About Skeletal System, without the skeletal system the human body would just be a puddle of mass and guts. The human body can hold itself straight and have a well-defined structure because of bones. The human skeletal system not only provides the structure to stand up straight, but also protects all the important and delicate organs inside our body. The brain, a mass of spongy matter, is protected within the strong bony case called the skull. The vertebral column protects the complex bundle of nerves or the heart and lungs are protected by a bony ribcage. Let’s see the interesting Facts About Skeletal System.
1. The smallest bone of the human body is found in the ear, called the stirrup. It is not larger than a single grain of rice.
2. The longest bone of the body is the femur bone or the thigh bone. The thigh bone makes up one-quarter of your body’s height.
3. The largest bone of the human skeletal system is the pelvis bone or hip bone. The pelvis is made up of six bones that are joined to each other firmly.
4. Your nose and ears are not made up of bones. They are made up of cartilage or ‘gristle’. It is lighter and flexible than the bone. Try bending your ear and nose, you will be able to bend them with ease.
5. Ever wondered, why skeletons have their ears and noses missing? Well, the cartilage in the ears and nose decompose quickly than the bones, thus, leaving the poor skull without ears and nose.
6. Facts About Skeletal System, there are 27 bones in the human hand and 14 bones make up your face.
7. The number of bones in your neck and the number of bones in a giraffe’s neck is the same.
8. There are about 230 movable and semi-movable joints in your body.
9. The only bone without a joint is your body is the hyoid bone present in your throat.
10. Did you know your height depends on the growth of your bones. If you are a girl, your bones will keep growing till you are about 16 years old and the bones of boys grow till they are about 18 years old. Therefore, if you wish to be a tall individual, it is very important to eat healthy foods and drink as your bones need nourishment to grow. Facts About Skeletal System if you give your bones the right nourishment, they will grow well, making you tall and good-looking.