10 Interesting Facts About Thomas Paine
Facts about Thomas Paine was an English author, pamphleteer, radical, inventor, intellectual, revolutionary, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He has been called “a corsetmaker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination.” Born in Thetford, in the English county of Norfolk, Paine emigrated to the British American colonies in 1774 in time to participate in the American Revolution. Here is the list of 10 Interesting Facts about Thomas Paine.
1. Thomas Paine died on 8th June 1809 in New York City. Facts about Thomas Paine only six people attended his funeral, two of whom were former slaves.
2. One thing is that he wrote the book “The Age of Reason” which presented the case that the Bible was just literature and not the word of God. He was not an atheist though, he was a Deist, believing in God’s revelation through nature.
3. Facts about Thomas Paine was an Anglo-American political theorist and writer. He was the son of a working-class Quaker.
4. He is the one who sent Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on their expedition.
5. He also was one of the first ones to sign the Declaration of Independence.
6. Thomas Jefferson had 6 kids but only 2 of his kids made it to adulthood.
7. When he was president he had this mockingbird in the white house with him and it followed him around everywhere. Facts about Thomas Paine eventually taught it how to take food from his mouth at dinner.
8. Thomas never told anyone his birth day. He thought they made to big of a fuss.
9. Thomas Paine wrote a book called “Common sense,” He talked to townspeople about going against the government for independance, and also accepted to fight against King George lll.
10. Thomas Paine became very important. In 1776, he published the pamphlet Common Sense, a strong defense of American Independence from England. Facts about Thomas Paine that it won over many to the cause of Independence.