10 Interesting Littering Facts
Here is the list of 10 Interesting littering facts. The act of littering can harm the environment in many ways. Litter can cause injury to area wildlife, pose threats to human health and is aesthetically displeasing. When discarded as litter, human-made materials such as plastic, glass and aluminum can cause external injury to animals or, if accidentally ingested, cause starvation or suffocation.
1. Highway littering facts is composed of 59 percent paper, 16 percent cans, 6 percent bottles, 6 percent plastics and 13 percent miscellaneous.
2. The items most often found during litter cleanups are fast-food wrappers.
3. The second-most-often found items are aluminum beer cans, followed very closely by soda cans.
4. Cigarette butts are not considered when addressing litter cleanups programs. However, they are the most littered item in the world and are toxic to the environment.
5. Litter is illegal. Littering facts, most people are unaware of littering fines. Most localities also have fines for businesses or pedestrians caught littering. Many people are unaware that the person opening a package of gum and dropping the wrapper on the sidewalk is doing an illegal act and, if caught, could face charges. Littering is against the law.
6. Littering facts cost communities. Clean communities have a better chance of attracting new business and residents and tourists. Long term less revenue to city, county and state coffers, meaning higher taxes.
7. Litter also harms plants and degrades natural areas. When garbage is dumped, it can kill or stunt plant growth. Few people think about the harm to natural areas from litter.
8. Litter kills or injures animals. Many small animals crawl into bottles or jars and get stuck and slowly starve to death. Animals get caught in plastic six pack rings, plastic bags, fishing line and a multitude of throwaways. Birds that are stuck, can’t fly away from danger. Sometimes animals caught in six pack rings are strangled as they grow too big for the opening. Animals get cut, infected and die. Every year, millions of birds, fish and animals die from litter.
9. Littering facts is a problem that can be controlled. Education is an important tool. People who are aware of the dangers of litter often make more of an effort to always put their trash the correct place. They also spread the word to others they see littering and teach them to dispose of garbage the right way. Community clean ups encourage people to take pride in their community and keep it clean. Quick removal of litter keeps it from growing into an unmanageable dump site. People can make a difference. Litter can be conquered.
10. Litter is a problem with Farmers and Ranchers; Cattle and other animals can die from ingesting metal and other substances such as ground up glass. Repairs to machinery jammed by trash, tires damaged by broken bottles. Littering facts means downtime and lost crops.