10 Interesting Seahorse Facts
Commonly called the Stallion of the Sea, there are many seahorse facts that you may or may not be aware of. Below are the top 10 seahorse facts that you may find incredibly interesting.
1. Although seahorses are bony fish, they wear a very thin skin that is stretched over bony plates rather than being dressed with scales.
2. During mating, female seahorses will deposit their eggs into the pouch of the male who then fertilizes the eggs internally, carrying them until they emerge.
3. A seahorse wears a coronet on its head that can be compared to a human fingerprint.
4. Seahorses synchronize their movements so the males are ready to receive the eggs from the females at the appropriate time.
5. One of the most interesting seahorse facts is that they are almost always found resting because they are very poor swimmers.
6. When resting, the seahorse will wrap its prehensile tail around a stationary object, similar to a monkey.
7. Seahorses engage in an eight hour courtship dance which includes spinning around, swimming side by side and changing colors.
8. At birth, as little as 5 or as many as 1,500 youngs can be born.
9. A seahorse does not have teeth or a stomach, so food passes through them quickly which requires them to constantly eat to stay alive.
10. The oldest seahorse factsfossil recorded dates back over three million years ago.