10 Facts about Amazon Rainforest

Wednesday, January 7th 2015. | Environment

Facts about Amazon Rainforest present the ideas about the South American rainforest.  It spans on several countries in South America such as Brazil, Columbia, and Peru. The total area of Amazon rainforest is 2.1 million square miles. Find out more facts about Amazon rainforest below:

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 1: the broadleaf forest

Amazon rainforest is included as a broadleaf forest.  The area is very moist. It has been on earth for almost 55 million years. You can find diverse animals and plants in Amazon rainforest.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 2: the Amazon basin

The Amazon basin is covered by Amazon rainforest. The Amazon rainforest covers at least 2.1 million square miles from the total 2.7 million square miles of Amazon basin.  Based on the big size, Amazon rainforest can be positioned at the ninth of position if it is a country.

Amazon Rainforest and River

Amazon Rainforest and River

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 3: the countries

There are nine countries which share the possession of Amazon rainforest. Those include Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Suriname, Guyana, Bolivia, Ecuador, French Guiana, and Columbia.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 4: the big rainforest

Do you know that most than 50 percent of the entire rainforest in the world is occupied by Amazon rainforest?

Amazon Rainforest Facts

Amazon Rainforest Facts

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 5: species

The species of animals and plants which live in Amazon rainforest are diverse. You can check at least 205 species of birds. There are at least 2.5 million insects and 40,000 plants species living here. There are only 10 percent of the species known by the people. The remaining 90 percent have not been identified.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 6: deforestation

Amazon rainforest is just like other rainforests in the world.  All of them are prone to deforestation.  Deforestation is still a big issue today since there are many resources taken illegally by the people from the rainforest.

Amazon Rainforest Pic

Amazon Rainforest Pic

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 7: the Lungs of the Planet

Due to the big size and lush plants of Amazon rainforest, it is nicknamed as the Lungs of the Planet. The rainforest can generate 20 percent of the oxygen in the world.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 8: fruits

There are at least 3000 fruits that you can find in Amazon rainforest. Most of them are the edible fruits.

Amazon Rainforest

Amazon Rainforest

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 9: native tribes

The local people who live in Amazon rainforest are the native tribes. It is estimated that there are at least 50 Amazon native tribes living here. Get facts about Amazon tribes here.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest 10: dangerous species

You can have to be careful when visiting Amazon rainforest. There are many dangerous species here such as spiders, anaconda and snakes.

Facts about Amazon Rainforest

Facts about Amazon Rainforest

Do you want to say something on facts about Amazon rainforest?

tags: ,